RÜÜTLI-GILDI RENTAL APARTMENTS/ (guest apartments) IN TARTU:
1-4-room furnished apartments for rent on all four storeys of an authentically and completely renovated (in 2013) building at Rüütli 11 / Gildi 7.
Rental apartments are situated in Tartu, opening to Gildi Street and to a quiet courtyard. The apartments are fully furnished. Full description of apartments can be found at Price List.
Minimum rental period is one month.
If you have been dreaming of living in the old town of Tartu in a building with a distinguished history, this offer is for you!
The building at Rüütli 11 / Gildi 7 was built in the 19th century and is an example of classical architecture. It is located in a heritage conservation area and an area of archaeological, cultural and environmental value in the heart of Tartu which is also the oldest building area in Tartu, only 100 metres from Town Hall Square. This building is now an architectural monument.
Click here to read more about the building’s history: History.
The building complex also houses 5 business premises, largest of these are a steak restaurant, beer tavern and Abakhan Fabric's .
Rüütli 11/Gildi 7 is a fortress-like building complex situated in the oldest building area in the heart of Tartu. Previous buildings were destroyed in the fire of 1775.
In 1815 the plot was bought by postmaster J. G. Drewing who chose a façade for his new building from the collection of standard façades for Russia published in 1809-1812. New outbuildings were also constructed.
in 1828 Drewing sold the property to merchant J. R. Schramm and in 1877 his heirs began a large-scale renovation in the Rüütli 11 building following the design of F. Hübbe. The main door was bricked up and replaced with two windows. New doors were made on both sides of the columns where windows used to be, and outermost windows were designed as display windows. A gallery was added to the façade facing the courtyard. The building was leased to the office and print shop of “Postimees” whose rooms were located in the basement.
In 1903 Schramm’s heirs sold the property to W. Lehnbaum and in the same year the building’s façade that opens to Gildi Street was altered according to the project drawn up by R. Pohlmann in 1902. In 1911 the façade opening to Rüütli St. was altered under the project of F. Kangro and a third storey was constructed for the side facing the courtyard.
The buildings lie on a corner plot and form a closed courtyard that can be accessed through the linteled archway from Gildi St.
The building complex has two main façades, a Classical style façade with half columns in Rüütli St and a more simple façade in Gildi St. Decorative elements are carried over from Rüütli St. to Gildi St. The courtyard of the building complex can be accessed through a linteled archway with an ironwork gate. There is one access to the wing in Gildi St. – through a panelled double door. Above the door there is a prominent clerestory sculpted with protruding glazing bars.